Knob Creek United Methodist Church (UMC) has had a long and unique history dating back to the 18th Century. Early history is scant but from information provided by several of the older members and from property deeds, a few facts have emerged:
William C. Boggs gave seven acres of land to be used by religious groups for as long as the cemetery was maintained and religious services were conducted on the property. In the event these requirements would cease to be met, the property would revert to the heirs of Mr. Boggs.
The first minister to preach on the site was Rev. James Pawley in a brush arbor. He made it known that he wanted to be buried near the corner of the arbor. His tombstone can be found in the church cemetery. It is the oldest dated tombstone in the cemetery--1809.
The first log church was erected between 1809 and 1869. The land was then in the possession of the Union Associate Reformed Church. When the property was surveyed by Pink H. Shuford in 1869, a school house, a parish house, and a log church was located on the site. The Union Associate Reformed Church gave possession of the land to another religious group known as Seceders. (The Seceders later merged with other Reformed Churches to form the Presbyterian Church).
The Seceders stopped having services on the site for a period. The property was then used by the Baptist Church for a year. The Seceders gave possession of the land to the Methodist Protestant Church in 1892. It then became known as Knob Creek Church. Fellow Seceders who signed the deed included: E.L. Richard, Nancy M. Hartman, Elizabeth Poole, Sarah D. Peeler, A.N. Boggs, M.C. Dellinger and N.E. Boggs. The Methodist Protestant Trustees who accepted the property were Alfred Peeler, Alexander Richard, N.B. Warlick, William Boggs, and Peter W. Hamot.
In 1892 the Methodists erected a building out of materials from the old Kadesh Methodist Church building. Services were held in this building for 8 years. A new framed, four-winged building was built in 1951 under the leadership of Quincy Hartman, Will Richard, and Bob Short.
Plans for a new stone church were put into use in the spring of 1951. At that time timber was cut from the property; the new existing church was built in 1952 with the labor of many dedicated members. Records indicate the following: Hoyle Willis sawed the lumber for the building; Howard Dayberry, Willie Carpenter, Paul Carpenter, and Charles Goodman did the carpentry work and laid stone. The stone used for the church was called Georgia Marble. Many members worked to transport the stone from the train station in Shelby to the building site.
Rev. W.H. Yokely was the pastor during the construction of the present building. Knob Creek Church has inspired/influenced three men to enter into the ministry: Carlo Swafford, Bob Short, and Willie Elam.
Chicken pie suppers became an integral part of Knob Creek 's history. The church held numerous suppers to raise the money needed to pay off the debt for the new rock church. Other successful fundraisers resulted in the following additions to the church: air conditioning was added in 1984; pew cushions, water cooler, aluminum siding, protective plexi-glass to cover stained-glass windows were added in 1986; pew Bibles, park benches, and new hymnals were purchased in1987-1989.
Over the years, the church has received a number of memorials, donations, and gifts which have enabled improvements to be made to the church property:
A church sign constructed of rock at the entrance to the church and a paved driveway were given in memory of Ira Willis by Ethel Willis and children. In 1975, Hal, Hattie and Phil Queen donated picnic tables in memory of Lemar Queen. The children of Alvin and Mary Sain Deal refurbished the church's foyer as a token of honor and love in 1989. A youth Sunday School room was refurbished by Vera Glen in memory of Danny Glen. Mrs. Lucy Whaley donated 1.8 acres of land left of the church's driveway to Knob Creek in 1986.
More recent improvements to the church include the installation of new windows, a new restroom located in the church's fellowship hall donated by Dr. Randy Hartman, new icemaker and speakers in sanctuary by Sathel Richards in memory of Franklin Richards, new landscaping around the church by Sathel Richards and Sybil Poole, a refurbished nursery by the family of Carol Richards including a wall mural painted by Paula Privett Litaker.
Funds are now being collected for a new flooring project for the sanctuary.
The members of Knob Creek Church are very grateful for the generosity expressed by those who have contributed. The church will continue to make improvements that will benefit everyone in the church family.
(Copied from Church Directory)